Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spring Fever

It is the first day of March and we have been spoiled with good weather lately, it's giving me spring fever. Since we have gotten back from our vacation we are really trying to buckle down and start paying off our debt. We are so close to having our car paid off and we are getting so anxious to cross it off the list! Since it is Lent we decided to give up eating out (a big money saver) and I have decided to give up coffee (another big money saver!). Coffee is such a hard thing for me to give up (and I'm not just talking a straight up cup of black coffee, no I like the fancy stuff). We have done great so far! It is actually amazing to me that a couple weeks can go by without spending anything! Yes, that is right, spending absolutely nothing! I didn't even think that was possible.

I've also decided to really start running again. We found out last week that our church didn't get any teams for Hood-to-Coast this year, which is a total bummer, I was so looking forward to it. So I need something else to train for and I think it is going to be a half marathon! The most I've ran in a race was a 12k when I was studying abroad in Spain, I think that's about 7.5 miles...? So 13 miles will be a huge challenge. To start off I am going to do a running streak and see how long I can keep it up. That means running everyday, even if it's just 1 mile.

I feel like I'm making some positive changes in my everyday life, getting fit physically and financially, but I also want to grow more spiritually. One thing that has been on my heart lately is serving others, and just take opportunities that come my way without even thinking twice. It doesn't have to be a huge thing like going on a missions trip, but just everyday ways that I can serve or bless others. The church that Colin and I go to has so many opportunities to serve, it is amazing. They had a cold weather shelter, have a clothes closet and so many other things. My prayer is that I will not hold myself back by thinking that they won't need my help or letting "my life" get in the way. Our lives shouldn't just be about what we are doing for ourselves; our jobs, our families, our money etc, but for others. After all, Jesus said loving others as yourself is one of the most important commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment