Thursday, July 15, 2010

Recipes!

So it has been about 2 full weeks of being on my diet and it hasn't been all that bad. I will say I have not followed it perfectly and have discovered my major weakness (which I already knew) Starbucks coffee drinks! I can have coffee, but it's the milk and sugar that I'm not suppose to have. So I am slowly weening myself from them ;) The easiest way for my to stick to the diet is to basically have the same things everyday. Typical day: Egg scramble w/ cheddar, tomatoes & green onions for breakfast; fruit for morning snack; Tuna salad with pickle for lunch; nuts & dried fruit for afternoon snack; and grilled chicken with some type of steamed veggies or a salad for dinner.

So at the beginning I decided to try to make some baked goods with almond flour and coconut flour and none of them have turned out very good. So I have pretty much given up on that. But I have discovered a couple really good recipes posted below!

Homemade pesto- Just throw all of the following in a blender, we had it over grilled chicken.

huge bunch fresh basil
2 tablespoons pine nuts
3 cloves garlic
pinch of salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Homemade salad dressing- My salads have included Romaine Lettuce, Roma tomatoes, red onions, avocados & cucumbers- Loading up the veggies!! Throw the following in the blender. I will say this dressing only lasts a day or two in the fridge, the olive oil eventually becomes solid....maybe I shouldn't be keeping it in the fridge..?? haha

2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons orange peel, grated
1 1/2 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

I will keep you all updated on other yummy things I discover while doing this diet. I will say that even though it's only been a couple weeks I have noticed a difference in the a way I feel. And I pay for it big time when I deviate!!

We have been eating so much chicken tonight we are going to try making some ground beef and using lettuce as a "taco shell" We'll see how it goes:

SCD Taco Meat

I lb of ground beef
2 -4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 small onion grated (Use fine grate)
1 tsp cumin
½ cayenne or Chipotle chili pepper
salt to taste

Brown beef in olive oil. Add garlic and onion. Try to collect onion juice and put into pan, too. Add cumin, cayenne and salt to taste.

Serve with romaine lettuce leaves (as taco shells), cheddar, homemade salsa


And we are going to try the recipe below to made our homemade salsa. Basically chop and mix the ingredients below and let sit for an hour before serving!

5 Roma tomatoes
1 white onion
1 clump of cilantro
3 tomatillos
1/2 a lime
1/2 tsp. of salt
pinch of paprika
dash of olive oil (optional)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! For the salad dressing, if you take it out while you're making dinner, or just shake it REALLY well when you get it out, the oil should "soften" and it will all mix together.
    As to baked goods... what can you eat/not eat? Is it like celiac, keeping away from gluten, or more than that? How to make a baked good w/o sugar?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tara! My diet is for people with Celiac too, but it's more than just gluten-free. The only sweetener I can have is honey...so it kind of changes things since the sweetener is usually a dry ingredient.

    ReplyDelete